Subscribe to #LitGoals Mailings!

* indicates required

Saturday, February 4, 2017

A Bookworm's Dilemma

Morning Everybody!

And a very happy Saturday to you all.

This morning I'm in a bit if a moral and ethical dilemma. Yes, that can happen to a bookworm, and yes it involves books. Well, it involves the Simon and Schuster publishing house.

Recently they gave a book deal to someone I equate to being an infuriating pile of literal trash. The kind you happily toss into the dumpster and then set the dumpster on fire.

Now I will happily defend the protected right of free speech, even when I don't agree with a word you are saying. Where my personal line comes in is when your speech turns hateful and incites violence.

S&S also recently said that they would not publish this persons hate speech, but would move forward in publishing the book. They have received a TON of opposition and I haven't seen much support of their decision. (Okay any, I haven't seen any support.)

As a publishing house I believe they need to be held to a standard and on one hand they meet those standards. They are publishing material provoking thought and discussion. On the other hand they have lost authors because of the flaming dumpster they agreed to publish.

This morning I went to purchase a $2 Kindle book that sounded like an amusing and easy read. I saw the publisher. I haven't purchased it, I may end up buying it, I may pass on it and hope I find it at a used book store. I love books. I love that S&S isn't afraid to push the limits of society over a cliff. I just don't know if I can support it.

Till next time,

Xoxo
BrainyHeroine

No comments:

Post a Comment