Subscribe to #LitGoals Mailings!

* indicates required

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Review: Carnegie's Maid: A Novel

Carnegie's Maid: A Novel Carnegie's Maid: A Novel by Marie Benedict
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

After reading The Other Einstein I knew Marie Benedict had a particular passion for writing about historical figures with a female perspective, that didn't and doesn't revolve around who they're sleeping with. So when I saw Carnegie's Maid was up for grabs, I grabbed it. While written about a true historical figure, it is told from the perspective of Clara, and fictional Clara's are always sweet and soft spoken, yet Marie's Clara is somehow the voice for all Irish immigrants in this novel. She's somehow the catalyst for Andrew's free libraries, and quite honestly I got Beauty and the Beast vibes a few times. Ms. Benedict delivers a second well researched novel, giving us an insight on the Irish immigrant experience in America at the time, while also giving us a realistic view. There is a love story in this novel, but it doesn't feel forced and it isn't the sole focus. Clara is a passionate character, and it is hard to distill the legacy of the Carnegie's and not see the compassion and philanthropy shown by Andrew. I cannot wait to read what she writes next.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment